Sunday, October 26, 2014

In Service of What?


Reflection:

This text, made me reflect on the times that I have gone and done service learning in my community. There are so many opportunities in the community and through school to help others. I remember volunteering a lot in my community when I was younger for school and other extra-curriculars. I enjoyed doing different things, such as working at a food pantry. The people were some of the nicest I had ever met and so grateful for the food they received. I looked forward to going every week and seeing the people who came. It is so easy to be wrapped up in your own world, and be blind to the struggles that everyone faces. I agree that service learning should be a part of the curriculum, because it gives students an experience to reflect upon. Education is important, but without real world experience how are students to grow as people. 
The service learning that we are doing in this class is great way for us to branch out and get into the world of teaching.  I know that when I go into the classroom, everything we have talked about can be applied and its easier to visualize because we are actually in a school. The different projects that those kids did, were a way for them to connect with others, and we are doing the same by working with students. This class is one that has prepared me for the real world, more than most of my other ones. I think this is because we talk about controversial issues that we will have to face, and that will help us to be prepared. 


The link I have given talks about the benefits of service learning for students. I think that service learning should be required for students in every school. The more we make connections, the more we will grow and learn. 




     












1 comment:

  1. I agree with the point you made about requiring community service or service learning in curriculums. I had to complete 20 hours of community service in high school just to graduate but I think it is crucial that children learn that doing community service is not for a grade.

    ReplyDelete